About Stone Haus Bed & Breakfast
The Stone Haus Bed and Breakfast property are historically described as the Michels-Bersinger winery complex. It is an excellent example of the winery complex built by the small- to- modest scale ethnic German winegrowers of the area.
According to records, the first owners of the property were brothers John and William Michels, who emigrated from Prussia with their parents in the late 1840s. By day, John worked as a laborer, and in the 1860 census, his career is listed as a “vinedresser,” meaning a person who prunes, trains, and cultivates grapevines. The Michels brothers showed no wine production in 1860, which means the vineyards were new and not producing wine-quality grapes at that time.